It's been a minute since we posted in our Blog. You'll notice us start to use it more now, but first things first.
We felt overwhelmingly compelled to share this with the world.....
WE HAVE BOTH OUR AWARD WINNER STRAINS IN STOCK @BLOOMROOMSF
Plus, another one of our house favorites:
Thanks for following our Blog.
To sign up for our newsletter, click the button:
Everything is exceptional - from the antipasti to the dolci: the menu at 54 Mint in Mint Plaza bursts with mediterranean flavor steeped in rustic-italian inspiration. Try the pizzetta (think homemade flatbread & homemade sausage) and make sure you try each and every dish at least once. If you try 54 Mint Ristorante in San Francisco - you’ll meet old-country flavor without leaving the 7x7.
The aroma alone is worth a fifteen minute wait. Drip coffee happens over time - it’s never rushed. Hot water washes warm notes of hazelnut and chicory into your single serving - and voila!
“My freshly dripped Blue Bottle Coffee is now ready for cream and sugar.” At least, that’s your initial response. Sip it without modification and indulge.
Located at 12 Mint Plaza, this branch of the San Francisco Fire Fighter’s Credit Union is straight across from the SF Chronicle Building on Mission Street. SFCU reimburses for all ATM fees (in other words use any and all other bank ATMs and SFCU will pay your fee without question - automatically!) and they have a groovy SF Fire Credit Union iPhone app and the sleek SF Fire Credit Union Android app as well
“Mezzanine is San Francisco’s premiere live music venue, nightclub, and event space, showcasing DJs and live performances from some of the newest, most talented artists in music, and hosting performances that span all genres – from Indie-rock to Hip Hop, Nu-disco to New Orleans Brass.
Mezzanine has steadily become one of the Bay Area’s primary destinations for live music, giving both the artist and concert goer the finest amenities, hospitality and performance quality. Centrally located in the heart of Downtown San Francisco, Mezzanine features two state-of-the-art sound systems, and industry renowned lighting.”
Everyone knows Bloom Room SF! Think 4G eighths, tax always included, and lab-tested premium flowers! We also carry an epic array of concentrates and edibles. We do Medical Marijuana the way Blue Bottle does Coffee. We take this medicine seriously - and that’s why we offer our patients serious value!
“As one of San Francisco's most unique boutique salons, we are an experienced team of fashion forward and passion driven stylists who pride ourselves in providing outstanding and personalized customer service; as well as behind the chair, behind stages of fashion shows and editorial photo shoots.
Located in the city's newest urban oasis of Mint Plaza, we're nestled in a sunny corner unit with 360-degree view provided by our 8th floor accommodations.
We provide personalized and detailed attention to our top quality work in a convenient and comfortable setting. Whether it's color, cut, extensions, a fabulous style or blowout; a total new look or something for a special occasion – there is a stylist here to fit your personality and needs. We also give great thought and consideration into the products that are used here in the salon.
“Gentle Star is an original & progressive San Francisco medical spa, offering a portfolio of clinical skin rejuvenation services. Dedicated to the artistry of non-surgical esthetic transformation, Gentle Star's founders Dr. Thomas R. Ellis and Craig T. Shishido (Medical Esthetician) are inspired by the fusion of art, beauty and medicine.
Cutting edge medical esthetic treatments are delivered in a true San Francisco urban retreat. Tucked away in the historic 1907 Haas Candy Factory Warehouse across from San Francisco Shopping Center, Gentle Star is a quiet oasis where you can rediscover your inherent beauty. Come feel the beauty with us and get energized with a special experience that is uniquely Gentle Star.”
You can also look forward to Samples of Bhang Chocolate's Caramel CBD Bar, Auntie Dolores Edibles, as well as the Volcano and Vapir Rise Vapor Hookah Experience!
Bloom Room SF supports local flavor. Medical marijuana started here - and we're big fans of bay-area marijuana organizations who support quality, consistency, and safety. Kiva Confections is an exceptional chocolate producer; even without their key medical ingredient, cannabinoids - their chocolate is worthy of being in the fancy chocolate aisle at Whole Foods or Molly Stone.
Kiva Confection produces Premium Medical Marijuana Infused Chocolate. They offer a variety of flavors - all of which contain 180mg of THC (the main ingredient often sought after by many medical marijuana patients in San Francisco0; while they don't offer a CBD-Rich variety (meaning more cannabidiol than THC per dose) - they have introduced a brand-new edible to our menu: Kiva Confections Terra Espresso Bites!
These delicious coffee beans are wrapped with Kiva's velvety chocolate bliss. every bite brings wellness and a smile.
As with any medical marijuana edible, Kiva Confections should be broken into small pieces and ingested incrementally every 30-60 minutes. Leave some time between small bites to test your personal tolerance: edibles can last for several hours, so it's important that patients do not consume a large portion of this medicine right away!
In the event that you do consume too much medical marijuana chocolate - consider a CBD-Rich product like Alta California's CBD Tincture! Using CBD can help you dissipate the mental effects of THC. If your dose becomes to much to handle - a couple drops of the Alta California Tincture will help you avoid an unhappy experience.
Let's define addiction first: According to the American Psychiatric Association, "Addiction is a chronic brain disease that causes compulsive substance use despite harmful consequences." So, for a person to have an addiction, compulsive consumption leads to negative consequences (like losing your job or health).
Now, let's explore what most people think of addiction (aka Physical Dependence): according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, "the body adapts to the drug, requiring more of it to achieve a certain effect (tolerance) and eliciting drug-specific physical or mental symptoms if drug use is abruptly ceased (withdrawal)."
Therefore, when people think of an addict as someone who is trembling with withdrawal symptoms until they catch their next fix, they're really thinking of an individual with an extreme physical dependence! While someone might suggest that a medical marijuana patient who uses cannabis so often that they forget to show up for work is an addict, we are uncomfortable with the concept.
After all, addiction is a strong word! We think of nicotine addiction, heroin addiction, or caffeine addiction: in all of these cases, the user will experience withdrawal symptoms that damage their health and wellness because their biological material has been manipulated into thinking that it requires the substance to function "normally."
So, when it comes to medical marijuana, one is only "addicted" if use is negatively impacting life responsibilities; since using medical marijuana helps patients reclaim their life, happiness, and level of comfort - it's difficult to see medical marijuana addiction as being something that can actually exist! If your cannabis helps you stay functional, helps you maintain productivity, or enhances your ability to meet and exceed life's demands - than you can't be considered an addict!
Not all marijuana is created equal. All cannabinoids are medically valuable - but not all flower samples have the potential to alleviate your medical conditions. In San Francisco, patients have access to a range of different medical marijuana strains; the bay area plays host to a variety of providers and purveyors of cannabis - but, that doesn't mean that everything on every menu can be considered medicine. In order to be medical marijuana, your cannabis needs to possess cannabinoids - and the beneficial medical compounds are found in the highest concentrations within the resin glands know as trichomes. Though it is ideal to have lab data reflecting the medical potential of a given strain, there are various ways to assess the quality of any sample of medical marijuana. Next time you're at Bloom Room SF (or any other medical marijuana dispensary in San Francisco), take a few moments to examine multiple strains for the following qualities:
1) STRUCTURE: When it comes to premium medical marijuana - trichomes matter most; since trichomes grow on the surface of the flower, density becomes an issue. If a bud is too dense, the trichomes will form and mature in a limited fashion rather than throughout the entire bud (you'll find them clustered on the outside of the flower or in pockets). Loosened flowers provide more surface area and thus a greater among of cannabinoid-dense trichomes.
2) FRAGRANCE: Medical-grade cannabis has a pungent aroma. While every scent differs from one strain to the next, a sample that lacks a distinct fragrance is generally old and/or dried out. If you notice the dominant scent of wet grass, then chances are that sample hasn't been properly cured and needs to dry out before consumption. Curing is an essential part to the process of harvesting quality medical cannabis! This process breaks down chlorophyll (which tastes/ smells like grass) and allows the terpenes (fragrance compounds) to express themselves. Patients shouldn't consume fresh medical marijuana by way of inhalation: it will taste disgusting and harsh. All proper medical cannabis has been thoroughly dried and properly cured.
3) MOISTURE CONTENT: One of the best ways to test a strain of medical marijuana for moisture is the crack test. To perform the crack test, simply bend the stem of your flower sample. If the stem bends, the sample is too fresh to be consumed by way of inhalation (either through a vaporize or smoking device); if the stem cracks with a clean break, the sample is properly dried and ready for consumption. Flowers that have been improperly stored can dry out resulting in a harsh experience for the patient.
4) STICKYNESS TEST: This relates back to both trichomes and moisture content. Proper medical marijuana should be sticky to the touch. Patients have reported their medical nuggets sticking to the top of the Bloom Room medicine tins when they first open their gram or eighth! Cannabis flower stickiness is caused by the trichomes' resinous surface: more sticky = more trichomes = great medical marijuana! No stickiness means the sample has few trichomes or that it is very dry. Consider cracking open a nugget to examine the stickiness within; sometimes the handling of large quantities of buds results in the nuggets losing their stickiness on the external surface. Cracking a bud can also help you get a great sample of the true fragrance for any particular strain. Consider getting a grinder to avoid losing trichomes on your fingers!
5) LAB TEST: At Bloom Room, we test all of our strains for potency and safety (mold and pesticide) with CW Analytical Labs in Oakland. They analyze the cannabinoid content for each strain - allowing us to inform patients about their medicine. Instead of relying on a name or lineage of genetics, patients can get to choose their medicine based on the symptoms they wish to alleviate; since each cannabinoid has different medical qualities, we think it's important for patients to have access to lab results when seeking out quality medicine.
Dead Certain: A Critically Acclaimed Psychological Thriller on Union Square. Labor Day weekend special (click for more)
Sunday Nite Kap is the Premier Bay Area event for the Socially Sophisticated, upwardly mobile, young professional...
Dear Dr. Gupta: On behalf of Bloom Room, and the many medical marijuana patients in San Francisco, we just want to say, "Thank You."
The polarized modern media machine rarely progresses a dialogue between opposites, antagonists, or volatile skeptics. Facts are doused with opinion and engulfed in the fire of the inflammatory response, accusatory remark, and unsubstantiated claim. Instead of getting caught up in the mix and mockery of our manipulative media culture, you stand as a beacon of medicine - as a pioneer of healthcare.
Thank you kind sir! We tip our beanies to you :D
Keep up the great work,
Team Bloom Room SF
Here are a few reasons why we want to thank Dr. Sanjay Gupta! Medical cannabis means a lot to the patients of San Francisco - and his support reaffirms the stability of a much needed resource:
1) Dr. Sanjay Gupta discusses the legalization of medical marijuana on CNN. He illustrates the outcome of the Colorado and Washington elections for complete marijuana legalization, and then he touches on the topic of medical marijuana with Dr. Julie Holland - author of The Pot Book: A Complete Guide to Cannabis.
2) Dr. Sanjay Gupta discusses medical marijuana with Anderson Cooper on CNN. They talk about safety of medical cannabis and the effects of THC - the most potent cannabinoid in the plant - and how it affect the brain. Dr. Gupta illustrates the increasing potency of medical marijuana with a graph of THC percentages, and then mentions how the "loss of short-term memory" is only a short term side effect of cannabis.
3) Dr. Sanjay Gupta travels around the world as he cuts through the smoke of medical marijuana to illuminate the truth about the patients who benefit from it. This is the intro for his CNN special report: WEED: A Sanjay Gupta Special
4) The outcome of his year-long investigation of medical marijuana, Piers Morgan interviews Dr. Sanjay Gupta about him rescinding the statements he made in a 2009 in Time Magazine - Why I Would Vote 'No' on Pot. Dr. Gupta brings up the science of medical marijuana, and how the American public has been "systematically" mislead about it.
The cannabis plant has so much to offer: everything from the seeds to the trichomes have been utilized by humans seeking health, wellness, and nourishment. While all of our patients understand the significant benefits of consuming trichomes (which are the resinous glands found on female flowers), few realize the impressive health benefits of hemp seed oil!
By squeezing the seeds of the marijuana (or cannabis) plant, manufacturers are able to extract an oil chock full of health benefits! To best illuminate the multifaceted benefits of hemp seed oil, we've quoted an article from RegenerativeNutrition.com. They've done such a great job illustrating the science behind hemp that we thought it best to point you in their direction!
"The oil can be used as part of a nutritional programme to maintain and improve good health. With a pleasant nutty flavour, Hemp Seed Oil is ideal for use in salad dressings, mayonnaise, dips etc. It is not suitable for frying as this reduces the benefits.
Hemp has had a long-standing relationship with humanity; modern science reveals that it contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary for human life, as well as a rare protein known as globule edestins that is very similar to the globulin found in human blood plasma.
Four years after the Marijuana Tax Act passed in the US, a researcher writing for a 1941 edition of Science lamented the loss of access to the hemp seed's rare and important globule edistins; "Passage of the Marijuana Law of 1937 has placed restrictions upon trade in hempseed that, in effect, amount to prohibition....”
Hemp seeds contain the most balanced and richest natural single source of essential oils for human consumption. The E.F.A.'s not only help to restore wasting bodies, but also improve damaged immune systems, so it is not so surprising that modern researchers have studied them in relationship to the modern immune attacking AIDS virus. (Eidlman, M.D., Hamilton, ED.D, Ph.D 1992).
Hemp oil is natures most balanced oil for human nutrition (3:1 LA to LNA ratio) and is easily digestible; in fact this oil could provide all of our Essential Fatty Acid (EFA) requirements for life, due to the balanced 80% EFA content of the oil.
Research has shown that this nutritional oil was once a part of worldwide dietary intake, as it was one of the first cultivated crops. All natural foods contain some substances, which are essential to life. Oils for example, found in nuts and seeds, contain significantly higher amounts of essential fatty acids than other foods.
Much information about Hemp has been systematically removed from written texts since the 1930's and is now difficult to find. Many of the myths about hemp, perpetuated by governments to this day relating to hemp being a drug crop are incorrect and simply propaganda created to make way for synthetic man made products.
Alpha Linolenic acid (LNA) Deficiency Symptoms - Omega 3
The symptoms of LNA deficiency include: Growth retardation, weakness, impairment of vision and learning ability, motor incoordination, tingling in arms and legs, behavioural changes.
Adding LNA back into the diet from which it is missing can reverse these symptoms. Other symptoms that can result from LNA (or w3) deficiency include; High triglycerides, high blood pressure, sticky platelets, tissue inflammation, edema, dry skin, mental deterioration, low metabolic rate, some kinds of immune dysfunction
Linoleic acid (LA) Deficiency Symptoms - Omega 6
The symptoms of LA deficiency include: Eczema-like skin eruptions, loss of hair, liver degeneration, behavioural disturbances, kidney degeneration, excessive water loss through the skin accompanied by thirst, drying up of glands, susceptibility to infections, failure of wound healing, sterility in males, miscarriage in females, arthritis-like conditions, heart and circulatory problems, growth retardation. Prolonged absence of LA from the diet is fatal. Adding LA back into the diet from which it is missing can reverse all of the deficiency symptoms.
In 1955 the Czechoslovakian Tubercular Nutrition Study concluded that hemp seed was the"Only food that can successfully treat the consumptive disease tuberculosis, in which the nutritive processes are impaired and the body wastes away"(Robinson 1996).
Dr Johana Budwig – A pioneer of Essential Fatty Acid Research
The seven-time Nobel Prize nominee, Dr. Johana Budwig, a pioneer of E.F.A research, reported success in treating heart infraction, arthritis, cancer and other common diseases with massive doses of E.F.A.'s. Budwig's research indicates that many of these killer and crippling diseases may be caused in part by our diet of saturated fat and trans-fat, which are present in much of the food we eat. According to this healing Doctor, saturated fat and trans-fat befuddle the electronic charge of the unsaturated oils, which are present in cell membranes.
‘This decreases the cells ability to receive and store electrons from the sun, which according to Budwig is a key factor in human health.’
Alternatively, a balanced diet of E.F.A’s keeps the charge of the unsaturated fats in the cells membranes working properly and electron rich. As Budwig herself explains:
"The sun's rays are very much in harmony with humans. It is no coincidence that we love the sun. The resonance in our biological tissue is so strongly tuned to the absorption of solar energythat physicists who occupy themselves with this scientific phenomenon, the quantum biologists say that there is nothing on earth that has a higher concentration of solar energy photons than humans. This enrichment with solar energy depends strongly on the like energy aspects, a wavelength that is compatible with humans, and this is supported when we eat foods that have electromagnetic waves of solar rays--the photon. An abundance of these electrons, which are tuned to the solar energy frequency, exist, for example, in many seed oils. Scientifically these oils have even been designated as electron-rich, essential, highly unsaturated fats. (Budwig 1992)
Budwig states that when we began to homogenize vegetable oils so that they would store better, we unknowingly changed their E.F.A. content into saturated fats in the ensuing heating process. These E.F.A. robbed, thus electron poor "promote the emergence of cancer.... They behave like tar, as insulators relative to the transport of electrons in living tissue." Alternatively, "electron-rich highly unsaturated oils... increase the absorption, storage and utilization of the sun's energy".
Budwig relates that after her ailing patients have been treated with an E.F.A. rich diet and then "lie in the sun, they notice they feel much better-rejuvenated"; (Budwig 1992) "On the other hand, nowadays we frequently observe that the heart fails on sunny beaches, and not infrequently heart attacks occur. We can observe some individuals in our time experiencing stress from exposure to the sun’s energy, whereas others respond with dynamic improvement in all vital functions. The stimulating effect that sunshine has on the secretions of the liver, gall bladder, pancreas, bladder, and salivary glands is easy to observe. These organs only dry out upon exposure to sunshine when the substance that stimulates secretions is missing. The decisive factor in all these observations is whether the surface-active, electron-rich, highly unsaturated fats are present as a resonating system for solar energy, or, if they are missing. The doctor tells cancer patients to avoid the sun; that they can't tolerate the sun. As soon as these patients--also cancer patients--were placed on my oil-Protein diet for just 2-3 days, i.e. a diet that contains an abundant supply of essential fats, they were able to tolerate the sun very well. Yes, they emphasize how well they suddenly feel in the sun, how the life forces are stimulated and that they feel dynamically energized."(Budwig 1992)
In times of worry about increased exposure to the sun's rays the E.F.A. rich oils provided by hemp may offer us hope. In her writings about the sun's effect on the cell membrane's electrons, Budwig referred to the work of the quantum physicist Dessauer, "If it were possible to increase the concentration of solar electrons tenfold in this biological electron rich molecule, man would live to be 10,000 years old."
Benefits of Cold Pressing
Oils should be pressed with a minimum of heat because the higher the temperature of the oil the faster it is destroyed by light, oxygen and other chemical reactions. The shape and properties of Fatty-acid molecules can change lowering their nutritional and biological value.
In the UK we do not have restrictions on pressing oil from live seed unlike America where the seed has to be killed by high temperatures to allow it to be imported. With this seed is it is not possible to press fresh living oil that remains stable with a longer shelf life. Hemp oil is legal in the UK.
How to use
With a pleasant nutty flavour, Hemp Seed Oil is ideal for use in salad dressings, mayonnaise, dips etc. Not suitable for frying as this reduces the benefits. May be taken as a nutritional supplement for general health and well being.
We recommend mixing with Barley Grass Powder, providing the benefits of the soluble proteins in Barley Grass Powder, along with all the huge array of other nutrients. (Organic yogurt can be used as an alternative Barley Grass Powder) Use 1 dessertspoons of Hemp oil to one heaped dessertspoon of Barley grass juice powder, (or half a cup of organic yogurt) half a glass of chemical free water, (do not use tap water, the chlorine in tap water turns nutrients into toxic, even carcinogenic chemicals!). This mix can be taken once or twice daily. The combination forms the basis of a powerful therapy that Dr Budwig used, and helps to deliver sunlight from sensible sun exposure to the cells for maximum benefit.
Hemp oil can also be used externally on the skin, easily absorbed and moisturising, suitable for poor condition skin.
From our batch tests, it appears that rancidity increases at an exponential rate. I.E. low PV value at time of pressing takes longer to oxidise. We have found that our oil has the ability to be stable for at least six months if stored in the refrigerator. Oil is pressed fresh for each order and then dispatched to the customer in dark brown glass bottles.
How much is needed?
Recommended daily intake for a person with an average build/ body fat profile is 2-4 dessert spoons (up to 50 ml) per day, or in the case of therapy this can be increased up to 150ml per day for approximately 7 days then reverting to the normal daily intake amount. The requirement of oil intake is now widely accepted as being 15%-20% of calorific requirement (daily average of 2000 calories for an average adult). EFA oils contain embodied energy of 9 calories per ml, which is mainly used by the body for structural, hormonal and electrical functions, rather than energy.
What are the beneficial properties of Hemp Seed Oil?
Because Hemp Seed Oil is such a rich source of both LA (Omega 6) and LNA (Omega 3) in balanced proportions, conditions caused by deficiencies in both can be treated with one oil.
The functions of LNA include: Production of smooth skin increased stamina, speeds healing, increases vitality, brings a feeling of calmness, reduces inflammation, water retention, platelet stickiness and blood pressure, enhances immune functions, reduces the pain and swelling of arthritis, can reverse pre-menstrual syndrome, can treat bacterial infections, brain development in children.
The functions of LA include
Energy production, growth vitality, mental state, oxygen transfer, formation of cell membrane, recovery from fatigue, secretion production in exocrine and endocrine glands, formation of prostaglandin's (to maintain cardiovascular system) keeping body fluids liquid, helping immune system resist and fight infection, prevention of allergies, functioning of heart tissue
The functions of GLA include
Conversion of LA to the beneficial prostaglandin's, cholesterol lowering actions, useful in treating degenerative diseases. The Oleic Acid (Omega 9) contained in Hemp Seed Oil helps keep arteries supple because of its fluidity. In excess Oleic acid can interfere with EFA's and prostaglandin's.
The low level of Stearic acid (18:0) in Hemp Seed Oil is beneficial as high levels of Stearic acid are more likely to form flow-impeding clots in blood vessels and work against the healing qualities of the EFA's.
Palmitic acid (16:0) commonly found as a high percentage in animal fats and tropical oils, it raises cholesterol levels.
Vitamins: are also present notably C, E, B1, B2 and carotene in a fat soluble, easily digestible form.
Minerals: mainly Phosphorus, Calcium, Potassium and Magnesium.
Please note, oils that have been high temperature and solvent extracted then refined (most oils in the supermarkets) do not have the benefits left in them but contain detrimental Trans-fatty acids from hydrogenation.
EFA's increase metabolic rate, therefore increasing fat burn-off, helping you to become slim. Not to be seen as a singular solution, exercise and good eating habits need to be taken into account.
Combining Barley Grass with Hemp Oil
Mixing Hemp Oil with Barley Grass Powder, provides the benefits of the soluble proteins inBarley Grass Powder, along with all the huge array of other nutrients. Use 1 or 2 dessertspoons of Hemp oil to one heaped dessertspoon of Barley grass juice powder, half a glass of chemical free water, (do not use tap water, the chlorine in tap water turns nutrients into toxic, even carcinogenic chemicals!). This mix can be taken once or twice daily. It is the combination of the proteins in Barley Grass Powder that protect the Hemp oil from degradation in the body. The combination forms the basis of a powerful therapy that Dr Budwig used, and helps to deliver sunlight from sensible sun exposure to the cells for maximum benefit."
Information sourced from Udo Erasmus excellent book "Fats that heal - Fats that kill"
Visit us online or in person (at 471 Jessie Street in Mint Plaza) to inquire about cannabinoid products, or to talk to a consultant about incorporating marijuana products into your daily regiment.
Here’s a list of major indications pointing to marijuana legalization and overall public acceptance:
- Laws are being reformed, all around the world. Countries like the Czech Republichave recently legalized marijuana for medicinal purposes, others like Uruguay are considering recreational legalization, and over half of America has either decriminalized marijuana or legalized it for medical purposes (with legislation pending in numerous states across the country), etc.. The revolution is here, and in places where it’s not as prevalent – it will be soon.
- The majority of Americans support legalizing marijuana – a few decades ago, support was around 12%. Polling from the Pew Research Institute found that not only did 52% of Americans support legalization, but 72% feel that, despite their views, it’s inevitable. An even more recent poll, conducted by the Huffington Post and YouGov, found support among Americans to be at 57%.
- Research is catching up with reality. It seems that every few days now, despite a federal ban that makes research difficult (to say the least), new studies are coming out which validate the benefits of marijuana and its legalization. Recent studies to make a splash have shown medical marijuana legalization to reduce suicides, as well as traffic fatalities. Studies have also shown medical marijuana legalization to reduce, not increase, youth usage rates, and medical research has found marijuana to be beneficial in treating PTSD, dementia, breast cancer, etc..
- Even among those who consider themselves religious, opinions are changing rapidly, especially among youth. A recent poll conduced by a religious polling firm found that a majority of self-identified Christians aged 18-29 support marijuana legalization, and 52% believe that marijuana consumption is entirely okay.
- A recent seminar at Harvard Law School featured a section called “Tax Planning for Marijuana Dealers”, which educated students on how marijuana businesses, such as medical marijuana dispensaries, can obtain tax deductions despite being a federally illegal business. Harvard Law School…. teaching people how to dodge federal law to receive tax deductions for selling marijuana – this is undoubtedly a sign of changing times. Other colleges, such as Oregon State University, have begun offering cannabis and hemp related classes.
- Police in Seattle, Washington, have begun to issue warning letters to those found dealing marijuana on the black market rather than arresting them. In these instances, they’ve even been returning the marijuana. This is despite the fact that anyone distributing marijuana, besides when licensed by the state (no licenses have been given yet), is as illegal as it was before (a felony charge of up to 5 years in prison). This is a clear sign of the changing times, and is a shining example that not all police need to take a hard-handed approach to marijuana. It’s also important to note that police in Washington State can no longer arrest an adult 21 and older for smoking in public – it’s now a simple $103 ticket (that’s never placed on someone’s record).
- Companies involved in the marijuana industry have become legitimate investments. USA Today had an article this month titled As marijuana goes legit, investors rush in, where they discuss the legitimacy of the ever-growing (despite being federally-illegal) industry. Investors are swarming to the growing market, looking to invest in start-up companies that can take advantage of the incoming “green rush”. In addition, marijuana companies, such as Medbox (a company that manufactures marijuana vending machines), have become mainstays on the stock exchange.
- The U.S. Republican Senate Leader has filed legislation to end federal hemp prohibition. This is one of the most legislatively powerful Republicans in the country, and he’s sponsoring bipartisan legislation to find put an end to the decades long prohibition on industrial hemp, an incredibly diverse commodity. This is just for hemp, and not marijuana with higher levels of THC, but if hemp is legalized soon, and people realize they’ve been duped for decades and rejected an opportunity to take advantage of this valuable crop, many of the remaining opposition to legalization will think twice.
- Celebrities, scientists and politicians are rapidly coming out in support of legalization. The organization and website Marijuana Majority, is dedicated precisely to this. For politicians, supporting marijuana legalization is becoming a politically wise thing to do, and not the other way around, which has resulted in individuals like California’s Lt. Governor calling the war on drugs an “abject failure” while simultaneously calling for legalized marijuana. You can find a large and impressive list of legalization supporters by clicking here – you’ll quickly note that some of the top minds of our time, and most famous celebrities of our day, are on the list. In a society that near-idolizes the famous, this is important.
- Prohibition has done nothing to reduce usage rates, or reduce support for reform.The U.S., in its implementation of marijuana prohibition, has continued to slam non-violent marijuana consumers with insanely harsh criminal penalties, in some instances for possessing miniscule amounts. Despite this, and despite a government propaganda machine that never seems to stop spewing bullshit, the number of cannabis consumers has risen, not decreased, and support for ending prohibition has grown tremendously in recent years. Prohibition doesn’t work, and it never will. Legalization is the inevitable answer.
- 4G Eighths of Premium Flowers for $40 from 4/19 - 4/21.
- All orders on 4/20 will receive a FREE MEDI-JOINT and a FREE MEDITHRIVE LIGHTER.
- On 4/20, all orders $65 or above will receive a FREE EDIBLE, FREE PRE-ROLL, and a FREE BLOOM ROOM LIGHTER
Patient will feel uplifted with immense euphoria with each toke and very little appetite side effects. Anxiety can be a factor with those prone to it and should be taken into account before medicating with Jack Herer.
EXPERIENCE A THROWBACK VERSION OF CANNABIS CULTURE: [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v_1rz7Eh9c]
Have you ever been to Haight Ashbury in San Francisco for Four-Twenty? What about Golden Gate Park? Well, Hippie Hill is a huge event - a great way to see the ancient customs of the "sixties culture" - dating back to the early days of the psychedelic settlements found throughout a then black-&-white version of San Francisco. If you like music, festival atmospheres, and an overall welcoming and friendly crowd - consider stopping by the Haight Ashbury district during the course of your celebrations.
"At the age of twenty-two, Doug Benson began performing stand-up regularly in Los Angeles after he and two friends dared each other to go on stage. It turns out that Benson was the only one of the friends to actually make it to the stage, an event that set the wheels in motion for eventual performances on Comedy Central’s The A-List, Two Drink Minimum, and The TV Wheel in the 1990s. Benson is also known for being a contestant on the fifth season of Last Comic Standing.
Benson has released five comedy albums, including 2012’s Smuglife, and aims to record a new album every April 20 -- for release the following summer -- for the rest of his career. Benson starred in the 2007 documentary Super High Me – a takeoff of 2004’s Supersize Me – about the effects of smoking cannabis for thirty days."
"As part of his coming-out tour, and only days before the release of his Diplo-produced reggae album, Snoop Lion (né Dogg) will be playing one of those intimate shows here in S.F. at the Fillmore. And because Snoop Lion loves weed, and San Francisco loves weed, Snoop has decided to come to San Francisco on World Weed Day -- aka April 20, aka 4/20, aka the best day in all of the year to see Snoop Dogg perform." - SF Weekly
"White Mystery rocks a Top Ten Album, ELLE Magazine Brazil feature, Daytrotter session, POWERGLOVE music video, and Sound Opinions episode distributed by American Public Media. Miss Alex White and Francis White are two siblings born and raised in the city of Chicago that play original, garage punk shows around the world. Chicago Tribune music editor and Sound Opinions host Greg Kot writes, "The real attraction is White Mystery, the new duo forged by Miss Alex White, best known as the guitar-wielding blowtorch in her long-running gig with [Miss Alex White and] the Red Orchestra. With drummer Francis White, she reduces her love of soul-fired garage rock to its butt-kicking essence.""
"Moonalice is a band of seasoned musicians who feel that live music should be a communal experience where the listener and musicians feed and derive inspiration from each other. Their songs try to speak to everyone, mixing a variety of genres with extended musical improvisations that evoke a sense of adventure and exploration." A bonus 420-themed auction during the show! Price is $4.20 (or course), and the items included in the auction are all 420 worthy:
A beautiful guitar signed by Carlos Santana. A Metallica package including a cymbal signed by the band, drum sticks, Metallica hat, Metallica t-shirt, and various guitar picks. An assortment of fine wines A Grateful Dead poster package. Jerry Garcia poster package. Several rare Grateful Dead t-shirts. A Slim’s/GAMH ticket package and more!
Hempcon is a medical marijuana show catering to those who may be benefited from the medical use of marijuana. This will be one of the premiere events of the year with a huge amount of exhibits including medical marijuana dispensaries, collectives, care givers, evaluation services, legal services, educational institutes, equipment, accessories, and many more. Hempcon will be an educational event as well with a full weekend of seminars and presentations by industry leaders, advocates, and attorneys. Whether you are a patient or someone who wants to get educated more about medical marijuana, you have got to be there.
For 2013, we are scheduled to have multiple shows all around the Southwest throughout the year. Be sure to check out, Hempcon in your local town as we will expand into other markets where medical marijuana has been legalized. We urge supporters of the Medical Marijuana industry to come out and participate in what is sure to be the best event of the year!"
By: Steve Elliot for Hemp News (http://hemp.org/news/content/california-researchers-hope-test-cancer-fighting-marijuana-compound) "The pain-relieving and nausea-relieving effects of medical marijuana and its chief psychoactive ingredient, THC, are becoming well known for those fighting cancer and other serious diseases. But for more than five years now, a group of researchers in California has been focusing on another of the cannabinoids found in marijuana, cannabidiol (CBD).
Watch the video here! http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/health&id=9057615
"Cannabidiol is a non-toxic agent from cannabis that is not psychoactive," said Sean McAllister, Ph.D., a lead researcher in the recent study at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, reports Carolyn Johnson at KGO.
McAllister and fellow researcher Pierre Desprez, Ph.D., say they are now ready for human trials, using CBD to treat metastatic cancer. They've already produced a synthetic form of CBD, which they say targets a specific gene related to cancer's spread.
"We found this one compound, CBD, had a specific effect on metastatic cancer cells, very aggressive tumor cells," Desprez said. "The bad cancer cells, the ones that spread throughout the body."
The team documented the effect of CBD on brain cancer in a large scale animal trial in a recently published study. Brain scans showed the disruption of the tumor cells after the CBD was used to switch off a specific gene regulator, according to the researchers.
"We find when you treat with CBD, you down regulate the expression of this protein, and that inhibits the disease process," McAllister explained.
That may be due to a natural defense mechanism in the cannabis plant, according to Desprez; he believes the plant may have developed CDB to retard the development of insects which ate marijuana, thus protecting itself.
"So maybe the plant is making these compounds to combat the development of insects and we can use the compound to target cancer cells that act like embryonic cells," Desperz speculated.
Due to the non-toxic nature of CBD, the team hopes to be authorized soon for human trials, for which they are currently seeking funding. The team has already designed two trial models, one for brain cancer and one for breast cancer.
One of the nicest things about visiting San Francisco is that, although the city is “big” in terms of attractions and amenities, it is geographically small – only 49 square miles. Consequently, it is very easy to see and do a great many things in a short period of time. It is also easy to spend weeks in San Francisco and still not experience everything the city has to offer. Here is a suggested list of the top 10 things not to miss in San Francisco, according to the San Francisco Travel Association:
1. The Golden Gate Bridge, the most famous bridge in the world, manages to impress even the most experienced travelers with its stunning 1.7-mile span. Approximately 120,000 automobiles drive across it every day. A pedestrian walkway also allows the crossing on foot, and bikes are allowed on the western side. The Golden Gate Bridge is said to be one of the most photographed things on Earth.
2. Cable cars have been transporting people around San Francisco since the late 19th century. The cars run on tracks and are moved by an underground cable on three routes. Their familiar bells can be heard ringing from blocks away. Tickets ($5) may be purchased at the cable car turnarounds at the ends of each route. Each one-way ride will provide spectacular views of the city’s celebrated hills as well as exhilarating transportation. (www.sfcablecar.com)
3. Alcatraz, the notorious former prison, is located on an island of the same name in the middle of San Francisco Bay. Some of the United States’ most notorious criminals were incarcerated there. Though several tried, no inmate ever made a successful escape from “The Rock.” The prison was closed in the 1960’s and stories about Alcatraz are legendary. A visit to Alcatraz today is fascinating. Recorded cell-house tours are available, allowing visitors to learn about the prison as they explore the buildings and grounds. To reach the island, take an Alcatraz Cruises ferry from Pier 43. Advance reservations are recommended, 415-981-ROCK (7625). (www.alcatrazcruises.com)
4. Fisherman’s Wharf is also home to Pier 39, a festive waterfront marketplace that is one of the city’s most popular attractions. A community of California sea lions has taken up residence on the floats to the west of the pier and visitors line the nearby railing to watch their antics. From there it’s a short walk to the Wax Museum, Ripley’s Believe It or Not! and the famous crab vendors selling walk-away crab and shrimp cocktails.
5. Union Square is the place for serious shoppers. Major departments stores and the most exclusive designer boutiques line streets like Post, Sutter, Geary, Grant, Stockton and Powell. The Westfield San Francisco Shopping Centre houses the largest Bloomingdale's outside of New York and the second largest Nordstrom in the U.S.
6. North Beach, the city’s Italian quarter, isn’t a beach at all. It’s a neighborhood of romantic European-style sidewalk cafes, restaurants and shops centered near Washington Square along Columbus and Grant avenues. The beautiful Church of Saints Peter and Paul is a beloved landmark. Coit Tower atop Telegraph Hill offers a splendid vantage point for photos of the bridges and the Bay. Inside the tower, floor-to-ceiling murals painted in the 1930s depict scenes of early San Francisco. (www.coittower.org).
7. The entrance to Chinatown at Grant Avenue and Bush Street is called the "Dragon's Gate." Inside are 24 blocks of hustle and bustle, most of it taking place along Grant Avenue, the oldest street in San Francisco. This city within a city is best explored on foot; exotic shops, renowned restaurants, food markets, temples and small museums comprise its boundaries. Visitors can buy ancient potions from herb shops, relax and enjoy a "dim sum" lunch or witness the making of fortune cookies.
8. Dining in San Francisco is an attraction in itself. Known as America’s best restaurant city, San Francisco chefs excel at combining the freshest local ingredients, authentic international flavors and a touch of creative genius. Choose your cuisine – Chinese, Japanese, French, Italian, Spanish, Moroccan, Indian, Malaysian, Mexican, Greek, Russian or “fusion,” a combination of any or all of these influences. Visit our dining section for a list of San Francisco's hottest restaurants, a calendar listing of food-related news and events, and a weekly insider's blog by Marcia "the tablehopper" Gagliardi.
9. Nightlife in San Francisco is a constantly changing scene. The “hottest” clubs currently are in the South of Market and Mission districts, with live and recorded rock and Latin music. Jazz, blues, swing and “oldies” music can be found all over town. For a complete list of nightlife options, visit our Nightlife section.
10. A visit to San Francisco would not be complete without a cultural experience. The city is home to internationally recognized symphony, opera and ballet companies. Playwrights such as Sam Shepherd and Tom Stoppard introduce their works in San Francisco and avant-garde theatre and dance companies dot the city. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Asian Art Museum, the de Young Museum, the Palace of the Legion of Honor and other museums and galleries are devoted to the finest of classical and contemporary arts. San Francisco is also home to the California Academy of Sciences - the only place on the planet with an aquarium, a planetarium, a natural history museum, and a 4-story rainforest all under one roof. For a complete museum guide, visit our museums listings.